Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Help, is not a chick flick.

There are very few movies in this day and age which are neither a franchise nor a remake. Summer is officially over and sadly there are only a handful movies, I can think of falls into the category of original films. Fortunately The Help is one of it.

However, before I go further, I want state a fact, as the movies which are based on real events addressing socio-political views cannot be considered as "Chick Flicks." Don't get me wrong I do not mind any kind of movie. Also being a filmmaker myself one thing I don't really care about while watching a film is its genre. But just want to throw it out there that "The Help" is not a Chick Flick.

The Help is based on a novel by Kathryn Stockett. The story takes place in Jackson, Mississippi in 1960s, with racism on its prime. Its the story about how Skeeter ( Emma Stone), with the help of two Maids, Aibileen (Viola Davis) and Minny (Octavia Spencer ) successfully publishes a book, "The Help". Which is mainly written from the view point of the maids who are working in white families.

As far as the story is concerned , it is very well structured , in an engaging way. This is a very genuine film. The actors are great, especially Hilly (Bryce Dallas Howard).

The camera work was great, But I think they could have made the same impactful film without those aerial shots, but again for the cinematic point of view it just does the justice to the story. Score was one of the things which stood out to me, it was so well done as if felt like it belonged there. Good sound coverage. All in all a movie which deserve to be seen in theater. I am so thankful that it is not 3D.

Hollywood is just going for 3D overkill now. I mean the one thing which filmmaker should be paying attention most should be the story of the film rather then all the mumbo jumbo they put in. This movie is actually a very effective way of telling that yeah a good film just need a good story.

On my scale of 5 I will definitely give 4 out of 5.


Cheers
Mragendra

No comments:

Post a Comment