Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Moneyball: Is it any good?

We saw Moneyball this past weekend, though I am dying to see the Contagion but looks like I have watch it alone :(.

Is Moneyball any good?
Depends on if you like sports and feelgood films. Since it is based on a true story, therefore a lot of it might have happened, but who knows. However the character, Peter Brand ( Jonah Hill) is based on a real person, who doesn't look like Jonah in the film at all, however if they have filmed it now when Jonah has lost his weight, then I can see resemblance.

Everyone pretty much know what happens in the story. Watching this film in Bay Area is another experience, especially when Oakland A's fans are sitting next to you and giving you the running commentary and rooting for A's when they are in field.

Storyline is pretty straight forwards, looks like a buddy film crosses path with a classic underdog story with not a Hollywood ending, which is great, or may be I give credit to the real event aspect to it . I couldn't help noticing Aaron Sorkin ( Writer, Social Network ) is one of the screenwriter, therefore such a strong star cast.
Which also explain the estimated 47mil USD(courtesy: IMDB).

Ironically, Lion King was also playing and was the show stealer,  but hey, its F#%*ing Lion King, no body messes with the King.

This is first Bennett Miller's film I ever saw, being filmmaker my self I would say I kind of liked his style. Did not like the flashback aspect of the film, I mean I really did not care about how Billy bean become the General Manager of Oakland A's, without his flashback the movie would have been great. People are there to watch the story of Oakland A's  where Billy Beane is just a Catalyst. Its also Aaron Sorkin way of writing.

The Cinematography , they wanted to include more of the green tint to the movie to give the Oakland A's feel to it. Like other sports movie most of the film takes place in stadium offices and all hence that also helped to create the look.

Now, lets talk about performances, it is pretty right on, I can see Brad Pitt, and Jonah Hill getting nominated for Oscars.
All in all, good film, I will give 4 out of 5 stars.

Cheers
Mragendra Singh

No comments:

Post a Comment